Wednesday, June 18, 2014

We Are Smug - Hot Tub Blues

Can’t believe I never posted this song before… Introducing this song to people without context is fun, because the way it goes is this: I play the song for someone, and she goes, “This is a weird song, but I like it!” I go, “Wanna know who the singer is?” She goes, “Sure, who is she?” I say, “Remember Savage Garden, from the 90s?” She goes, “Yeah, I remember them!” I go, “This is the lead singer of Savage Garden.” She goes, “Wait… The lead singer was a guy…” I say, “Yes. This is him.” She goes, “NO!” in disbelief. Once I did this to a classmate, and that same night she downloaded the artist’s album, later taking it to class to play for other students and do the same thing to them that I’d done to her. Yes, this vocalist is Darren Hayes, in his experimental side project with songwriter Robert Conley. He has publicly stated that this track doesn’t use any digital tricks to distort his voice into sounding womanly; he really can sound like that on his own. There’s a little profanity and implied violence, I guess?
Note: You can listen to the old-timey lady vocals in HD!

We Are Smug - Hot Tub Blues:

No comments:

Post a Comment