Saturday, September 26, 2015

Melanie Martinez - Mrs. Potato Head:

Man, this artist is really growing on me lately. My friend who's a big fan recommended this song in particular to me and let me have a listen. The melody doesn't sound radically different from her others, but I really appreciated this song for its lyrics. It criticizes our culture of emphasizing physical attractiveness in women & girls, especially for the pressure it puts on young girls to alter their appearance, and imposing unreasonable beauty standards that encourage fakeness. Like a Potato Head doll, faces end up being plastic composites of manufactured features that are the same because they're "acceptable", homogenizing the population's appearance.
Note: HD quality is available!

Melanie Martinez - Mrs. Potato Head:

No comments:

Post a Comment