Thursday, October 29, 2015

Nothing But Thieves - Graveyard Whistling

I fell in love with this song very recently. Just the sound of it is enough. The lyrics, in my interpretation, are encouraging you to stop subscribing to potentially harmful religion that’s holding you back from enjoying your life and taking advantage of it while you have it. Like whistling when you pass by a graveyard to prevent ghosts from following you, it claims that “if you don’t believe, it can’t hurt you”—if you don’t subscribe to a belief system that teaches you to be ashamed or fear damnation, you won’t fall victim to the psychological harm that belief system inflicts on its believers. I’m not sure which side of the fence the song is actually meant to fall on due to that pesky potential for tongue-in-cheek-ness. As this is my current song obsession, today I recommended this song to some apparent music aficionados and they were impressed, so I felt validated.
Note: I encourage you to take advantage of HD listening!

Nothing But Thieves - Graveyard Whistling:

No comments:

Post a Comment