Friday, August 21, 2015

Sam Smith - Good Thing

This young artist pulled a Frank Ocean, garnering recognition and critical acclaim before even releasing his first album, then announcing immediately prior to its release that his debut album is inspired by his first love, a man. Also as with Frank Ocean, people accused this move as being a strategic attention grab, but he really didn’t need it because his talent speaks for itself. At his live show that I attended, he cracked, “People think all the songs on my album were written about the same person. That’s not true; only 5 songs were about the same person!” I’m fairly certain I know which 5 those are (hint: they’re the friendzone anthems), and this is one of them. Those Disney-esque strings are a little distracting but this song is still one of the earwormiest on the record, and as one of the earliest tracks on it reassured me during my first listen-through of the album, “Oh, this is gonna be good.”
Note: That’s right, HD!

Sam Smith - Good Thing:

No comments:

Post a Comment