Monday, November 25, 2013

Jessie J - Do It Like a Dude

SWEET BABY JESUS, THANK YOU FOR LETTING THIS MUSIC VIDEO EXIST. Those back up dancers, man!!! Anyway… This song is the first I heard by this now-popular British artist, who at the time didn’t even have a Wikipedia page. Someone in one of my classes posted this song’s music video to our class’s Facebook group as a jumping off point for discussion. While I agreed with the conclusion of the discussion (which was, in very simplified terms, that the message of the song is a little silly), I could not stop watching the video. Something about the weirdness of the movements in some of the closeup shots and the lip art had me addicted. Although this song, her first single, doesn’t really showcase it, she has one of the best voices in pop music I’ve ever heard. I noticed a brief moment near the end of the song that hinted at a more powerful voice than this production-heavy song allowed her to demonstrate, so I found a video of her performing this song acoustically and was blown away. Strangely, the acoustic version is self-censored… This version not so much.
Note: You can listen in HD!

Jessie J - Do It Like a Dude:


And here’s the music video:

No comments:

Post a Comment