Monday, August 22, 2011

Janelle Monáe - Cold War

Here's another song that seems thematically related to the previous song I posted by this artist, in that it's about the pressure to conform to societal expectations. I'm proud of my lyric interpretation on this one because she actually confirmed it in a number of interviews, so yay!  It's not often I find the lyrics of a song so personally relatable.
I'm posting this video this time too, because it's also great (and remniscent of Sinead O'Connor's "Nothing Compares 2 U" video). Supposedly this was the first take of what was intended to be only part of the official music video, but they ended up using the raw footage because it was so powerful on its own. She starts out sticking to her android persona but rather conspicuously drops it when she gets to my favorite line of the song.

Janelle Monáe - Cold War:


And the music video:

No comments:

Post a Comment