Saturday, June 13, 2015

Goldfrapp - Happiness

I found myself bobbing my head to this! That doesn’t happen often. I like the tongue-in-cheek element that could be missed if you’re not paying attention. It very much seems to be about a cult, and the lines about giving your money to the group lead me to believe it might even be specifically about Scientology. Sonically, it works perfectly to suit the them, due to its simple, sing-songy melody and upbeat yet slightly eerie sound, with the word “happiness” being emphasized and repeated while the more sinister messages are buried in the verses. Even the layered vocals lend themselves to the image of a group of swaying, smiling people singing this song to welcome you to the cult. Since I was bobbing my head to it, the brainwashing must be working!
Note: HD quality with Spanish subtitles, if that’s a help to you!

Goldfrapp - Happiness:


The music video is pretty good too:

No comments:

Post a Comment