Thursday, September 22, 2011

2pac - Dear Mama

Seriously, who doesn’t have love for 2pac? Behold, the hip hop legend that it seems every modern rapper aspires to be and compares himself to. Such a huge cultural icon, I suspect a lot of his popularity is owed to his appeal to a range of audiences, since he mixed social consciousness with an authentic “thug” mentality. I believe this is the song that made me pay attention to him. Even though he passed away long before I actively listened to hip hop, he was one of the first hip hop artists I listened to, because his songs played on hip hop radio stations constantly (and still do). One day I was in the car listening to the radio, and this song was on and I for once heard the lyrics. I said, “Wow, this song is actually pretty meaningful!” The family babysitter, who was driving, said, “Yeah, a LOT of 2pac’s songs have a good meaning!” So then I started listening. Last week was the 15-year anniversary of his death, but you can tell he’s left such an indelible mark on our culture by the fact that I still regularly hear people talking about him or hear his music blasting out of cars driving by. R.I.P. Tupac Shakur.

2pac - Dear Mama:

No comments:

Post a Comment